Tuesday, March 8, 2016

BIG Dreams

We have big dreams.  Sometimes it looks like it is never going to happen, especially not on the timeline that we want it to.  At least the way that I look at it, my husband is an eternal optimist, he is assured that ALL of our dreams will happen this year.  (Edit: By ALL.. I mean the land and house part)

I don't think we'll find trees like this in our area,
but you get the idea.
We want to own at least 10 acres, 15 is preferable. I want chickens and goats (Steve wants a pig).  I want to learn to can and preserve food (to enjoy our delicious garden treats year round).  I want an apple tree, cherry tree and strawberries.  I want bees, too.  I want to be close enough to city that it isn't a forever drive yet far enough away that we can't see our neighbors (if we even have neighbors) or hear the cars going by.  I want a tree lined drive and an adorable farm house.  I want to make butter and yogurt and cheese with the goats milk.  I eventually want to learn how to spin yarn from goat hair (mohair) to make yarn.  I want my mom and dad to be able to live on this land with us.  I want a path around the whole property to run/ ride on.  I want more that I haven't even discovered yet.
I want this breed of goat (Nubian)

My ideas just keep getting bigger as I find things to add to my farm house dream.  I don't want to work anymore (I never thought I would ever be saying that, EVER).  I want to be able to spend more time with the kids (they are almost grown).  I want time to care for my animals. I will need time to make butter, cheese, yarn, pickles,...... I might even find time to clean, maybe.  The only thing I don't want to do is garden.  I'll leave that to Steve.  I hate gardening, plants don't like me either.  I do not have a green thumb, mine is black as in death to every plant I touch.

Curious chickens always look
like they are posing for a selfie
Many times it all seems too big and out of reach.  I am trying to focus on the steps that will get us there while still looking ahead so we know where we are headed.  It's a frustrating balance.  This is the beginning of the journey.  I know it will have its challenges but I am looking forward to the end result: A healthy, happy, (mostly) self-sufficient life up ahead.  Note: Not sure if we could ever live an "unplugged" life.  Steve would never give up high-speed Internet.  But, we want to get awfully close.

"You're off to great places!  Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting, so... get on your way!" -Dr. Seuss