Saturday, September 7, 2013

Running The Race

My oldest girls decided to try out for Cross Country now that they are in middle school.  First of all, can I say, that I am a little freaked out that they are so old?  I am so proud of them.  They just jumped right in and tried something new.  


Today was their first meet and I couldn't be more proud.  Neither finished first, but they didn't finish last and they ran all the way.  I love that they didn't give up and they were both happy with themselves afterward.  The fact that they were happy with how they did means more to me than anything else.

When Hannah told me that she was going to try out for Cross Country, I was so happy for her and told her that she should go for it.  She asked me if I thought she could do it.  I said ABSOLUTELY.  What surprised me was that she was not worried about her ability to run, but that it was going to cost money.  She is too young to be worrying about money.  That makes me sad.  I want to be able to give everything to my kids, and provide them with every opportunity to excel. SO.. I gave her a hug and told her, "Don't worry about the money, that's my job, and I'll make it happen if this is what you wanna do."

I'm sure that they don't see it now, but they are learning things that will carry them through life.  I see them learning about determination and hard work.  They are learning about not giving up and that really the only obstacle is yourself.  I'm looking forward to what the rest of the season holds.  And I am really enjoying being able to watch (and guide while I can) the journey they are taking in finding who they are.  SOOOO proud of my babies, who are slowly becoming amazing women!

“You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose. You're on your own. And you know what you know. And YOU are the one who'll decide where to go...”
― Dr. Seuss