Sunday, October 6, 2013

Enlarge My Mouth

In 1 Samuel 2 (KJV) it says, "And Hannah prayed, and said, My heart rejoiceth in the Lord, mine horn is exalted in the Lord: my mouth is enlarged over mine enemies; because I rejoice in thy salvation."

The highlighted part always kind of confused me.  I would get these images of Hannah eating people, and of the old testament stories about the ground opening up and swallowing people.  I don't remember when it was that it finally sunk in but I thought "What does an enlarged mouth look like?"...."Oh a smile" HA I am such a dork!  It makes me laugh now when I think about those old images that used to come to mind.  

Today when I read it, this passage in 1 Sam. 2, gives me so much joy.  (If you read it in some other versions it actually says smile.  lol I should have started there).  We have so much to be thankful for as God's people.  I have so much to be thankful for.  My life could be so different, but I am certain that  God's hand in my life has kept me from so much harm.  He definitely saves me from so much (probably daily).

When I sat down to write this blog, I was thinking about joy.  How the joy of the Lord is our strength, how in the presence of the Lord is the fullness of joy.  But then I sat down and read the passage in Samuel over again, and it reminded me of Psalm 23.  It is very similar.  I find it beautiful that both Hannah and David after her would say the same things. I love how the bible is connected throughout it's books.

It's all because of God's goodness and the way that he takes care of us.  Hannah's prayer was answered, she got a son!  My heart rejoices in the Lord; My horn is exalted in the Lord. I smile at my enemies, because I rejoice in Your salvation - You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies; You anoint my head with oil; my cup runs over.

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil; For you are with me; Your rod and your staff , they comfort me.  Hannah walked through her own valley of barrenness; she saw the Lord answer her prayers.  What better reason do we have to rejoice?  Why should we not be filled with joy!  God answers prayer and he does it extravagantly!!

So I guess this is about joy.  It is the reason we have to be happy.  The great love and care that our Almighty God has for us.  We don't have to want;  we get to rest in the "green pastures" and be at peace as He leads us by still waters and restores our souls.  We should trust him even in the hard times and if we stop and think about times past.. realize that He was there the whole time giving us comfort.  Then there is answered prayer.  Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life!  I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever!!