Friday, January 3, 2014

Did I hear that right!?

I have to take some social/ behavioral science classes to get my degree so I decided to make the best of it and take something that might help me in my personal life and it couldn't be helped this semester (it was the only thing that fit into my schedule since the calculus class that I wanted to take is full).

Politics holds no interest for me.  Not only do I not understand it, but it seems that behind every "good deed" is a scandal: Someone lied, misuse of money, selfishness, and greed.  What was once meant to help maintain people's freedom, has more often than not taken freedom away.  Good intentions lead to empty promises and then to blatant lies.  Mostly, I don't really have time to keep up with it.  I have work and school and kids and all that entails. Yet, liberty can not be preserved without general knowledge among the people (John Adams). That quote pretty much says it for me, I am responsible for my own freedom.  Right now, I don't know enough to know that something is going to be taken away until it is already gone.  I was looking for a specific quote (that I still haven't found) but I found a few that I really like, and Steve says that I am starting to sound like a libertarian.  LOL

All of that being said; I am actually looking forward to my spring semester.  I will be taking my first American politics class.  That's right, I'm actually pretty excited about it.  Steve shared this clip from the show Newsroom once a few months ago and I have to say.. it really touched me.


"This is America.  Why are we settling? We can do better." 
-My Husband-

I'm excited because I hope that I will learn about some of the things that Steve talks about or at least know where he is coming from.  Hopefully, I will learn things that will strengthen what I already believe and be able to form (even more) opinions of my own, and what it is that Steve will be doing when he wins.  At the very least, it will make for some interesting conversation at home!

Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot,
Nothing is going to get better. It's not.
-Dr. Seuss