Friday, March 10, 2017

Possible Rant

Here's the thing, people take the internet WAY too seriously without the benefits of friendship (or any semblance of close relationship) and it only breeds so much unnecessary offense.

The other day was just like any other day and my loving and amazing husband was his usual meddling and controversial self.  He finds pleasure in rattling cages and rocking boats and generally making others question norms (even if he doesn't question them himself).  This isn't necessarily a bad quality, but often it is mistaken because people do not know my husband well.

There were many people who were offended with what Steve posted on Facebook the other day.  One person in particular really got under my skin, usually I just ignore Steve's posts altogether because it just isn't worth my stress level to be sucked into all of the things that he involves himself in.  **This blog is starting to sound like a rant, I promise it's not.  I love Steve SOO MUCH.  We are just have totally different personalities... anyway back to what I was saying** On this particular day, it hit me wrong and I wanted to chew this person out.  They basically said that because what Steve's post was offensive that his freedom of speech was forfeit.

I gave this a decent amount of thought into this.  When are people not offended over just about anything?  Let me clarify, I do not condone someone being purposefully cruel, but I also do not think that you lose your right to free speech just because someone might be offended?  I bet you can think of lots of things where others were offended by actions that you yourself perceived as harmless.

So as I am thinking about all of these things: being offended, lack of personal connection, freedom and such.  I thought about how the majority of the friends I have on Facebook, I have personally met or have known in the past.  Steve hasn't necessarily met all of his friends but they usually share political beliefs.  This made me think that maybe, just maybe, the comment that I took offense to was not meant to be offensive either?  I don't know.  I never asked.  I figure that Steve can handle it on his own and my interference could make a situation out of nothing.  This IS Facebook we are talking about, which is mostly a bunch of drama anyway.

Maybe this blog is a rant?  The point to the whole thing though is this:  Give people the benefit of the doubt.  Maybe they aren't good with the written word.  Maybe they are joking.  Try and filter things through their lens instead of yours.

"Poor empty pants with noone inside them" - Dr. Seuss