Thursday, October 3, 2013

My Modest Proposal

A dormant volcano is also described as inactive.  While they aren’t erupting at present, below the surface there may be a lot of activity going on and they could explode at any moment.  This is also the best description of my mood lately.  I am frustrated and irritated and generally stressed out.  All of that being said, my trip to find a book at MTSU's library was nothing less than interesting.

I asked Steve to go with me because I had never been there before and didn't want to get lost alone in an unfamiliar place at night.  That campus is NOT car friendly.  You can't get anywhere from where you are.  We finally parked and walked, asked for directions 3 times and finally found the library.  In all, it took about an hour just to check out one book. 

Anyway, the point of this blog is supposed to be about the process of writing my paper.  I asked for help with the topic and my amazing husband helped me with that.  I have reached out for help from friends; one of them is the state director of Ohio Students Concealed Carry, and the other is super smart and writes papers about things political and philosophical in nature.  I have had lots of great direction.

I am not sure exactly what genre my paper is written in.  It definitely has information in it.  It's slightly satirical (who would really give children guns in a school setting?)  Though honestly as a side note, school shootings have only happened in gun free zones where even the security was not allowed to carry.  At the very least schools should take down the "gun free zone" signs.. leave the criminals to guess.  There is some how-to in there ( I am still working on developing that). 

In my research I have found how many people just want guns to be wiped out of existence.  There would be heavy opposition to what I am proposing.  There are people right now fighting for our 2nd amendment right to own a gun.  I don't pretend to know all there is to know about it though.  I am just scraping the surface of this subject to write a short paper.

I have a few more pages to fill out and I think I am going to do that with some compare and contrast.  Stating the other side of the argument.. why should children not have guns? or maybe state how some people might react to the introductions of guns to school.. maybe I will solicit the help of a Facebook questionnaire for that?  I posted this video in the previous blog and I think it is worth posting again.  This girl rocks..


I could also ask you.  If your child was provided a gun and training to use it at a public school.. What would you do?  How would you feel?  Would you feel that your child was more secure or more at risk?

“But I've bought a big bat.
I'm all ready, you see.
Now my troubles are going
To have troubles with me!”
  -Dr. Seuss