Sunday, October 27, 2013

Confidence and Patience (Maybe)

Looking back now that this first half of this semester is over, I have learned stuff!  I know you are happy to know that because I should be learning stuff in college, right!  When I ask my kids what they learned in school, I usually get a response like "stuff".  Sometimes they ask me personal questions like, "mommy, have you ever had an ingrown toe nail? cause that is what we learned about in school today"
When I take a serious look at what I have learned, this is what I got:
1.  I have learned that discussing ideas about your paper with others who don't understand the assignment, is a great way to start arguments.  And as my classmate found out can get you in some trouble.
2.  When writing a paper, it is good to let it rest.  I found that the advice in the text book was helpful.  When I am stressing over my writing, leaving it alone, then coming back to it a day later gives you a fresh look and seems to help with the ideas flowing.
3.  Having and editor is great!  I really liked having peer reviews.  I worked hard on my paper and I still missed things.  Spelling and grammar and sentence structure.  It was very helpful in shaping the final product!  THANK YOU PEERS!!
4.  I used to be scared of blogging.  I thought I would never have enough time.  I thought that nobody would read it.  I didn't want to waste my time.  I have been proven wrong all the way around and have discovered that I really like it.
5.  I have learned some things that I have always kind of known intuitively.  Papers have an audience, and should be written to that audience.  You don't want to hand in a paper to your supervisor and have it written as if you're talking to  your child.

Overall, I think it has been a successful first half.  I am ecstatic that mid-terms are over and I am ready to be done!!

The more that you read, the more things you will know. The more that you learn, the more places you'll go. - Dr. Seuss