Thursday, March 3, 2016

French Toast Medallions

This morning I woke up before my alarm.  Usually, I force myself back to sleep until my alarm goes off, but I decided that french toast sounded really good.  I knew that I had used the last piece of sandwich bread yesterday for (regular, plain, buttered) toast with eggs.  I was pretty sure we still had a quarter loaf multi-grain bread left over from our Tuesday Kroger soup date.  So, I got out of bed and called my mom while I was getting the ingredients together.

Alas, there was no bread.  When I got off the phone with my mom, I told Steve that I was planning to make french toast but I didn't have any bread.  He offered to put on pants. Yep, he is so very helpful The only bread that we have in the house is a hoagie roll.  Amazing genius that he is, Steve suggests that I cut the rolls like a loaf and use that.  Bingo!  French Toast Medallions.

I actually thought about blogging before I started cooking.. So I remembered to do pictures.  Yay me.  Actually, I probably say this all the time, but this was the best batch of french toast I have ever made. Usually my french toast turns out really eggy and I don't like that.  Seriously these were perfect.

Here's what I did.  I combined the eggs, heavy cream, sugar, cinnamon, and vanilla extract in a bowl and whisked them while I was talking to mom.  Then I cut the bread.  The recipe mentioned the eggs needed to be whisked very well with the heavy cream.  This is where, I think, I have gone wrong with french toast my ENTIRE life.  I have never whisked very well.  I noticed that not only was the egg white not mixing in very well.. the cinnamon was a bit clumpy.  I just so happen to have a whisk attachment for my mixer.  It is amazing!  Did the job in under a minute.  Perfection.


 Nothing special after that.  I cooked each side until it was golden brown.  The two hoagie rolls that I cut up was a perfect amount for this recipe (which calls for 4 slices of bread).  I may not ever get it this perfect again, so I am glad that I have the pictures to prove it happened.  I may have to keep some hoagie rolls on hand from now on...  I think that the kids would like these cute little french toast bites.  I am snacking on one right now with coffee in my favorite dinosaur mug.

2 large eggs
1/3 cup heavy cream, half and half, or whole milk
1 TBS granulated sugar
¼ tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
4 thick slices of bread (I used two hoagie rolls cut into thick slices)
2 TBS butter
Pure maple syrup for serving
Directions
Please ignore my paper plate!
(I hate dishes)

  1. In a medium shallow bowl, whisk together eggs and cream (or whatever milk you're using). In a small bowl, stir together the granulated and cinnamon. Stirring the sugar and cinnamon together will keep the cinnamon from clumping up in the egg mixture. Whisk the eggs, cream, sugar and cinnamon until the egg whites are broken down and well mixed into the cream.
  2. Place a nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add a pat of butter, about 1 tablespoon and allow to melt. Dip one slice of brioche into the egg mixture. Allow to sit for 15 seconds then flip to moisten and coat the other side. Allow to sit for another 15 seconds.
  3. Place the dipped slice of bread in the hot skillet and cook until golden brown, about 1 minute and 30 seconds. Gently flip and cook on the other side until golden brown. Don't press down and flatten the toast. Keep it fluffy. Continue until both or all of the slices are cooked, adding more butter to the pan as necessary throughout cooking.
  4. Serve warm with more cinnamon sugar and maple syrup. Bacon, too... because always.
Here is where I found this recipe